[rescue] Sun 3's... was Re: Need Sun 3/110 RAM and Battery

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Fri Aug 24 12:27:25 CDT 2007

Somewhere in storage I have one Sun-3/50, one Sun-3/60, and a Sun-3/160
chassis (IIRC) that houses a Sun-4/260 boardset.

My main home machine used to be a Sun-3/140, which replaced an IRIS
3130. I don't wish I had had to move the 3130 all those times, but I do
wish I still had both of these systems.

" I'm trying to get as many 4/600MP boards as I can get my hands on.  I
" want to put a whole bunch of them in an 80-series chassis, which I also
" haven't found yet.

When I was actively pursuing a research project around the Sprite
operating system -- one reason for my switch to Sun-3's -- I badly
wanted to stuff a /260 chassis with as many 3/60 boards as I could find
and wire them up as what we'd now call a cluster. Not an original idea,
but I couldn't tell you where I picked it up.

--S.