[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Sat May 20 22:14:10 CDT 2006

>> I know of a 1G limit in some ROM versions, but that (a) affects the
>> boot filesystem, not the root filesystem, and (b) is 1G, not 2G.  Is
>> this Solaris brain damage, or what?
> Boot filesystem?  Solaris doesn't have a boot filesystem as distinct
> from the root filesystem as opposed to two other SVR4 implemetations
> I've used. And whilst it's been a while, I don't think *BSD has
> either.

NetBSD certainly does; I use it regularly, on sparc and i386 both.
(There are machine-dependent bootblocks, which load the kernel somehow.
On sparc and i386, they do this by loading a second-stage booter from
disk blocks which are normally those making up a file; this booter
extracts the kernel from a filesystem.  This filesystem is the one I
was calling the "boot filesystem".  This does not need to bear any
particular relationship to the one which is mounted as the root
filesystem; while the root FS defaults to the boot FS, it can be
obtained from anywhere by booting with the appropriate flag (-a on most
arches) and the default can be pointed anywhere desired at kernel
config time.)

I don't have direct experience with this aspect of any of the other
BSDs, but since they share Berkeley heritage with NetBSD, and IIRC
this was true of 4.3BSD as well (it's been a while since I touched
4.3), I'd expect them all to be the same in this respect.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca