[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sat May 20 11:58:10 CDT 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006 02:57:28 -0400 (EDT), der Mouse wrote:
> > UFS itself can't deal with a filesystem larger than 16Tbytes,
>
> You appear to be talking about Solaris here, and what you meant might
> be closer to "Solaris's UFS implementation can't...".  But I've been

Well as the original question concerned Solaris, I didn't think it was
necessary to emphasise that I was talking about the Solaris
version of UFS.

> unable to find any inherent (ie, non-implementation-imposed) limit on
> the size of a Berkeley Fast Filesystem (which Sun calls UFS) size
> short of various 64-bit values in various places, provided you're
> willing to use large enough frags and blocks.

Sun's UFS probably inherited some limitations from early implementations
of UFS ... previous to SunOS5.9 the limitation was 1Tbyte according to
infodoc 76856. The 16Tbyte limitation may well be an artificial limit
specifically chosen to avoid dealing with UFS issues that arise with >
16Tbyte filesystems.

> > and the root filesystem should be less than 2Gbytes
>
> What's this?

Well we've already established that it was me being dumb! The 2Gb/4Gb
limit affects only certain versions of OBP3.0 and SunOS5.5.1/SunOS5.6
(according to the infodoc above).

> I know of a 1G limit in some ROM versions, but that (a)
> affects the boot filesystem, not the root filesystem, and (b) is 1G,
> not 2G.  Is this Solaris brain damage, or what?

Boot filesystem? Solaris doesn't have a boot filesystem as distinct from
the root filesystem as opposed to two other SVR4 implemetations I've
used. And whilst it's been a while, I don't think *BSD has either.