[rescue] Biggest drives (and SVM) in a U60?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue May 23 12:35:31 CDT 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006 23:14:10 -0400 (EDT), der Mouse wrote:
> > Boot filesystem?  Solaris doesn't have a boot filesystem as distinct
>
> NetBSD certainly does; I use it regularly, on sparc and i386 both.
> this booter extracts the kernel from a filesystem.  This filesystem is
> the one I was calling the "boot filesystem".  This does not need to
> bear any particular relationship to the one which is mounted as the
> root filesystem; while the root FS defaults to the boot FS, it can be

Ah! Personally I wouldn't call that a 'boot filesystem' but only because
I'd encountered those SVR4 variants previously. Instead of implementing
UFS (or more complex filesystem types) in the boot loader, the loader
understands a much simpler filesystem and passes control to the kernel
before any great complexity is needed.

As it happens, Linux implements the UnixWare boot filesystem in about
1000 lines (including Makefile), Minix is about 2000 lines, and UFS
about 6000 lines.

Whilst it was a nifty idea (and would solve Sun's 'how to boot off a ZFS
filesystem' by cheating), I guess it would make more sense to use your
meaning.