[rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue May 2 15:48:35 CDT 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:44:59PM -0500, Wesley Will wrote:
> Michael Parson wrote:
>> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 12:23:14PM -0500, Wesley Will wrote:
>>> Greetings unto the list.
>>>
>>> May all your children wed young.
>>
>> I'll just be happy when he gets a job ;)
>
> I can understand that....

Well, he turns 4 in a few weeks, so I've got a while to wait. =)

>> <snippage>
>
>> An Ultra-60 is one of the better all-around UltraSparc based systems,
>> and can be had for not too much money on Ebay.  Can go up to dual 450
>
> OK, so I guess you've got one or two of these available, yes?  <-;

Me?  Nope, sorry.  My biggest Sun box right now is a Blade 100 and is
currently serving duty as a heavy monitor stand.  When I find the spare
time, I'll build it out and load an OS on it.

> I can agree with the U60 versatility and all-around generic
> usefulness.  The big E boxes are kind of neat, and oh-so expandable
> and all, but the size and power requirements being what they are the
> smaller chassis makes pretty good sense.  Does -anyone- have such
> hardware they'd be willin got part with?

I show one on ebay with a single 450Mhz CPU, a gig of RAM and an 18 Gig
HD for $199, includes a 1 year warranty.  Right below it is a suitable
second CPU with a BIN of $28.45.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org