[rescue] Overly complex devices, was LCDs or butter

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue May 2 10:48:06 CDT 2006

On 4/29/06, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> Instead of a device to heat the butter in the refigerator so that it
spreads
> easily, why not put it in the door and then use less insulation? To
regulate
> coldness you could have a little vent flap that can be adjusted to let more
> cold air in when it is warmer outside.

Why not just leave the butter *out* of the refrigerator?  It takes
quite a long time for it to turn rancid--if you don't use it up that
fast, then only keep a partial stick out of the fridge.  Heck, my
mother-in-law doesn't even keep her butter covered.

Eggs don't need to be refrigerated either unless kept for a several
weeks.  People were completely amazed that we took eggs to the Burning
Man and didn't put them in the cooler (we just stuck them in the
shade).  Once you crack them open, it's a different story.

Food really doesn't go bad that fast.  Food-borne illnesses are
generally the result of cross-contamination between raw and cooked
foods due to poor food-handling techniques, not due to spoilage.

=Nadine=