[rescue] adding a disk to my u2

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 4 18:59:42 CDT 2006

Mon, 03 Jul 2006 @ 22:54 -0400, Steve Sandau said:

> And older SCSI drives (in my experience) can last a *very* long time. In
> fact, I'd choose one over several new IDE drives.

*IF* you know they were treated well and ran cool.

A *LOT* of RAID pulls were running hot for 2-3 years, and might be
toast.  Then again, they can be among the best used buys.  The problem
is you as a used drive buyer almost never know the situation.

I find SCSI drives are reliable to about 5 years, and then start showing
signs of age.  Sometimes it is nothing but noise or a slight but notable
performance drop.  Seagate and IBM Ultrastar drives all seem to develop
a high pitched whine or singing noise at 3-4 years.  At around 5 years,
a certain percentage of both will develop vibration, and I always retire
those drives since I assume it is pending spindle failure.

The noise seems to be harmless, but it drives me nuts.

As far as new IDE/SATA drives, Seagates appear to use the same chassis
for SATA and SCSI Barracuda lines, with the exception of the spindle
motors.

Both have five year warranties and seem to last about the same amount of
time.

Maxtor, WD, USA <something>, and Hitachi Deskstar... I have too much bad
luck with them, so I avoid them.

Jury still out on Samsung drives.  They do have a 3 year warranty.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]