[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 12:33:40 CDT 2006

On 7/3/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
> velociraptor wrote:
> > On 7/1/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
> >> Has anyone had any experience with *audio* books?  It seems
> >> like that would be an even tougher "adjustment"...?
> >
> > I prefer them to music for driving as they seem to keep me more alert.
> > However, anything that requires my verbal attention makes it
> > impossible for me to listen to them, so I can't "multitask" by
> > listening to audiobooks at work the way some people apparently can.
> >
> > As far as enjoyment, the big factor for me is the audiobook reader.
>
> "Reader" as in "person who reads" (not *mechanism* that reads)

Yeah, I'd call the mechanism that you put the media into the "player".
 I guess my key interest in the "reader" is for the person to at least
sound interested and engaged in reading the work.

> > Key, if you are converting them for use on an mp3 player, is to either
> > split up the tracks so it's easy to find your place, or make sure your
> > mp3 player can "bookmark" the mp3s.
>
> So, you only read them "unidirectionally"?  I.e. "backing up"
> isn't readily supported (except as it would be with a tape
> recording, etc.)?

Well, sure, you can "back up" in an mp3, but you aren't going to get
any audio cues while you are doing that like you might with some types
of tape.  Most mp3 players (as well as CD players) have FF/RW buttons.

> Obviously ineffective for *references*...

I'm not sure how textbook/journal readers deal with these types of
references in books for the blind.  There are probably guidelines out
there on the web.  The only course I've ever listened to was intended
to be used with the written materials to "follow along", and it didn't
have references.

Libraries are good sources for audiobooks so you can try out the
notion without spending $$ on something you aren't sure you will like.
 Format will depend on the library's aquisition policies.

=Nadine=