[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Mon Jul 3 12:38:16 CDT 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> On 7/1/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
>> Has anyone had any experience with *audio* books?  It seems
>> like that would be an even tougher "adjustment"...?
>
> I prefer them to music for driving as they seem to keep me more alert.
> However, anything that requires my verbal attention makes it
> impossible for me to listen to them, so I can't "multitask" by
> listening to audiobooks at work the way some people apparently can.
>
> As far as enjoyment, the big factor for me is the audiobook reader.

"Reader" as in "person who reads" (not *mechanism* that reads)

> Bad reader, might as well forget it.  Examples: First book of Stephen
> King's Dark Tower series audiobook--snore city.  The guy was reading
> in such a monotone, that was the horror of the book, not the contents.
>  Jim Dale, reader of US Harry Potter audiobook editions--gah!  The
> guy's won multiple awards, but I absolutely despise his
> characterization of Hermione and a couple of other characters.  I
> switched to Stephen Fry's  UK version and it's just like how I imagine
> it should be.
>
> Key, if you are converting them for use on an mp3 player, is to either
> split up the tracks so it's easy to find your place, or make sure your
> mp3 player can "bookmark" the mp3s.

So, you only read them "unidirectionally"?  I.e. "backing up"
isn't readily supported (except as it would be with a tape
recording, etc.)?

Obviously ineffective for *references*...