[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Mon Jul 3 13:20:47 CDT 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> On 7/3/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
>>> As far as enjoyment, the big factor for me is the audiobook reader.
>> "Reader" as in "person who reads" (not *mechanism* that reads)
>
> Yeah, I'd call the mechanism that you put the media into the "player".
>  I guess my key interest in the "reader" is for the person to at least
> sound interested and engaged in reading the work.

Understood.

>>> Key, if you are converting them for use on an mp3 player, is to either
>>> split up the tracks so it's easy to find your place, or make sure your
>>> mp3 player can "bookmark" the mp3s.
>> So, you only read them "unidirectionally"?  I.e. "backing up"
>> isn't readily supported (except as it would be with a tape
>> recording, etc.)?
>
> Well, sure, you can "back up" in an mp3, but you aren't going to get
> any audio cues while you are doing that like you might with some types
> of tape.  Most mp3 players (as well as CD players) have FF/RW buttons.

Ah.  Though adding that capability to an MP3 player would be
trivial.

>> Obviously ineffective for *references*...
>
> I'm not sure how textbook/journal readers deal with these types of
> references in books for the blind.  There are probably guidelines out

DAISY is the current standard.  Think: HTML for the sightless.

> there on the web.  The only course I've ever listened to was intended
> to be used with the written materials to "follow along", and it didn't
> have references.

Yes, it seems like "audio books" are really only intended to
be read linearly. Passively. (good choice of word?)

> Libraries are good sources for audiobooks so you can try out the
> notion without spending $$ on something you aren't sure you will like.
> Format will depend on the library's aquisition policies.

<grin>  Like most things, I *think* about what it would be
like before trying.  It just doesn't seem like it would be
a comfortable experience.  Maybe if all you were doing
was driving, sitting on a plane, etc. and had it running
nonstop (and, had a good quality "reader").  But hard to imagine
using this for all your reading...