[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 12:18:10 CDT 2006

On 7/1/06, Don Y <dgy at dakotacom.net> wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with *audio* books?  It seems
> like that would be an even tougher "adjustment"...?

I prefer them to music for driving as they seem to keep me more alert.
 However, anything that requires my verbal attention makes it
impossible for me to listen to them, so I can't "multitask" by
listening to audiobooks at work the way some people apparently can.

As far as enjoyment, the big factor for me is the audiobook reader.
Bad reader, might as well forget it.  Examples: First book of Stephen
King's Dark Tower series audiobook--snore city.  The guy was reading
in such a monotone, that was the horror of the book, not the contents.
 Jim Dale, reader of US Harry Potter audiobook editions--gah!  The
guy's won multiple awards, but I absolutely despise his
characterization of Hermione and a couple of other characters.  I
switched to Stephen Fry's  UK version and it's just like how I imagine
it should be.

Key, if you are converting them for use on an mp3 player, is to either
split up the tracks so it's easy to find your place, or make sure your
mp3 player can "bookmark" the mp3s.

=Nadine=