[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Jul 1 08:29:30 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 10:48:26PM -0700, Don Y wrote:
> Jeremy Grosser wrote:
>> <recreating book-like feel with monitors>
>>
>> I'm keeping a close eye on the eInk (http://www.eink.com/) technology
>> in hopes that they'll develop something with a higher DPI. The
>> manufacturing price of the displays is supposed to go down 'when'
>> these displays become more common, but it's still a few years off.
>> I'm not ready to spend $600 US on an ebook... From Sony no less.
>
> You can buy one sh*tload of a lot of REAL books for $600!  :>

Indeed.

>> That being said, I'd love to get my hands on one of their development
>> kits. They're essentially gumstix (http://www.gumstix.com/) boards
>> with a Philips driver and the display. If only I could justify the
>> cost...
>
> Has anyone had any experience with *audio* books?  It seems
> like that would be an even tougher "adjustment"...?

I've tried a couple.  Better for long drives than long plane rides.  My
parents are a solid 6 hour drive from where I live, the last audio book
I tried was 10 hours, unabridged, worked nice, first 5 hours for the
drive down, gave time to swap out for some music here and there.  Then 5
hours on the drive back.  Decided I prefer paper.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org