[rescue] X11 (was NeWS. Heck, maybe still is.)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jan 18 17:42:27 CST 2006

Richard wrote:
> In article <200601181932.OAA06744 at Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>,
>     der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>  writes:
>

>>>Have you looked at the "hot off the presses" X11 new release
>>>mentioned on slashdot a couple weeks ago?
>>
>>No; I wasn't aware of it.  (I don't watch slashdot, nor indeed pretty
>>much anything else Web-based.)
>>

>>>The article claimed that clarity was a major goal to this in order to
>>>attract new coders to the cause.
>>
>>Goodness knows it could use it.
>

> Looking at the press release
> <http://wiki.x.org/wiki/PressReleases_2fX11R6970Released>, it appears
> that all they've done is replace imake with the autoconf/gnu build
> system.  This is a welcome change as imake was always one of the
> weirdest things about building the X Window System and lots of people
> seem to stumble on that step and never make it past imake.

According to their website, the code has also been changed to be a
modular build, not just the build control.  I haven't actually checked,
but that's what I get out of their documentation.

6.9 is the old monolithic code base, but with the same enhancements as
7.0, for distributions that need the old way of doing things.