[rescue] X11 (was NeWS. Heck, maybe still is.)

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Wed Jan 18 16:39:37 CST 2006

In article <200601181932.OAA06744 at Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>,
    der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>  writes:

> > Have you looked at the "hot off the presses" X11 new release
> > mentioned on slashdot a couple weeks ago?
>
> No; I wasn't aware of it.  (I don't watch slashdot, nor indeed pretty
> much anything else Web-based.)
>
> > The article claimed that clarity was a major goal to this in order to
> > attract new coders to the cause.
>
> Goodness knows it could use it.

Looking at the press release
<http://wiki.x.org/wiki/PressReleases_2fX11R6970Released>, it appears
that all they've done is replace imake with the autoconf/gnu build
system.  This is a welcome change as imake was always one of the
weirdest things about building the X Window System and lots of people
seem to stumble on that step and never make it past imake.
             Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty
                <http://pilgrimage.scene.org>