[rescue] Secure Sun wipe utility?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Feb 21 19:32:36 CST 2006

On Feb 21, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Bryan Gurney wrote:

> Here's the Sun page on format - analyze - purge:
> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/trustedsolaris/ts_tech_faq/faqs/
> purge.xml
> (plus info to get the remapped sectors overwritten as well)
>
> Basically it does four passes: 0xaaaaaaaa, 0x55555555, 0xaaaaaaaa, and
> 0x40404040.  That's not random overwrite, and it's only four passes, so
> combining two purge sessions would get you eight overwrites.  Also
> keep in
> mind that the alternating data would not necessarily correspond to
> alternating transitions on the hard drive itself, due to the nature of
> Run
> Length Limited encoding (and whatever the name is of the encoding
> scheme
> that superceded RLL).

Ok.  FWIW I decided to write zeros to the drive until I can take the
drives out and DBAN them.

But format - analyze - purge sounds like a good solution in the future
if the machine is not going home with me.

> As far as I know, DBAN hasn't been ported to Sparc hardware, nor do I
> think it will be, unless there's a significant interest in doing it.
> Keep
> in mind that all the Sun SCSI controllers would have to be handled,
> much
> like DBAN can scan for a lot of PC-based SATA, SCSI, and RAID adapters.

Seems to me that it wouldn't be too big an issue to port it to boot
from something like Debian Sparc and sense most of the common
controllers.
But then I also am not currently a programmer.

> Agreed on not ditching ten HDDs in an E450.  So is this box going to
> run
> ZFS?

Don't know yet.  I may put OpenBSd on it then stick it on the web
directly as a webserver/file server for a domain I've been sitting on
for years.

But that might be a little excessive. ;-)

Mike Hebel
----
"My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases
the mayfly known as love, for many, many moons now. There is no rest
for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning (I
quite after 3 seconds). In my search for peace, I also train
diligently. It is my mission to teach the precious value of peace to
the children who will one day own the world. I will say it again: My
name is Vash the Stampede. I am a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly
known as love."  - Vash