[rescue] Secure Sun wipe utility?

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 19:45:11 CST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:32:36 -0500, Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com>
wrote:

>> Agreed on not ditching ten HDDs in an E450.  So is this box going to
>> run
>> ZFS?
>
> Don't know yet.  I may put OpenBSd on it then stick it on the web
> directly as a webserver/file server for a domain I've been sitting on
> for years.
>
> But that might be a little excessive. ;-)

Well, the ten 9/18 GB drives part makes it sound a little excessive for a
webserver, and keep in mind that you're running ten OLD hard drives, so a
failure would most likely come sooner than it would for newer drives.
Keep this in mind when setting up arrays; as tempting as it'd be to RAID 5
the same-sized drives, you might end up in a bind when one disk fails...
or two.

What are the CPU and RAM specs?  The E450 is a rather good box (for its
time) when decked out, and having two SCSI controllers means you can also
better separate the OS from the data.