[rescue] Secure Sun wipe utility?

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 19:23:16 CST 2006

Here's the Sun page on format - analyze - purge:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/trustedsolaris/ts_tech_faq/faqs/purge.xml
(plus info to get the remapped sectors overwritten as well)

Basically it does four passes: 0xaaaaaaaa, 0x55555555, 0xaaaaaaaa, and
0x40404040.  That's not random overwrite, and it's only four passes, so
combining two purge sessions would get you eight overwrites.  Also keep in
mind that the alternating data would not necessarily correspond to
alternating transitions on the hard drive itself, due to the nature of Run
Length Limited encoding (and whatever the name is of the encoding scheme
that superceded RLL).

As far as I know, DBAN hasn't been ported to Sparc hardware, nor do I
think it will be, unless there's a significant interest in doing it.  Keep
in mind that all the Sun SCSI controllers would have to be handled, much
like DBAN can scan for a lot of PC-based SATA, SCSI, and RAID adapters.

Agreed on not ditching ten HDDs in an E450.  So is this box going to run
ZFS?