[rescue] Voyager status [was SS Voyager cable info sought]

Sat Aug 26 23:04:32 CDT 2006

>> [...] patch wires to the I/O board to bring all eight
>> power-compartment lines out to pins on the serial-port DB25.  [...]
> Okay, the machine is back together, with the patch wires in place.
> It still works, even :) [...]

> It's late enough, though, that the Y cable and the power-brick
> hackery will have to wait for another day.

It's now all done.  I didn't actually do a Y cable, just took the
connector off one of the power bricks and soldered in wires running to
a DB25 connector.  I felt a bit trepidatious about plugging it all in
and powering it up - I'd checked everything about four times in as many
different ways as I could think of, but I knew that if I managed to
slip up nevertheless I might very well fry the whole machine.

Fortunately, that didn't happen.  I'm typing this right now into the
Voyager, running off my modded power brick, powering the machine
through the serial-port connector.

Interestingly, the machine does not like having a battery inserted
while it's on - it shut itself off ungracefully when I did that, even
though it was perfectly willing to turn back on again.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca