[rescue] Dual headed U10

Janet Campbell janet at foonly.com
Mon Aug 21 11:55:08 CDT 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, velociraptor wrote:

> I've used Brasso alot (ROTC), and I would definitely *not* recommend
> it for the AL of the Powerbook, first because of the mess--Brasso is
> oily, and then there's the black residue you get when you are
> polishing metal, and then there's the texture holding the residue--the
> PB would require further cleaning.  Second, the AL is textured, and
> Brasso is a polishing compound (albeit a fine one)--I don't really
> want to polish off the texture.

Brasso would definitely be a bad choice for aluminum - oxide solubilities
being what they are, it would make no sense.

> On an iBook, I can see Brasso working ok (there's a lot of stuff out
> there on Brasso use on iPods), but I'm still not sure I'd use it on
> plastic because of the oily mess.  You can get polishing compound
> intended specifically for acrylic from Dick Blick art supplies, so I'd
> probably go that route.

Yeah, acrylic is tricky to polish under the best of circumstances, as many
cleaners can provoke hazing.  I'd stick to (mild!) detergents and water.

> Another option would be "Bon Ami" a cleaning compound (comes in a can
> like comet) that is intended for polishing fine metals and glassware.

It works well for convertible tops, too, when coupled with a soft bristled
scrub brush - it really gets the little cruddies out of the depths of the
grain, and it doesn't have any harsh chemicals or abrasives.

-Janet