[rescue] G4 pricing

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Aug 19 15:15:29 CDT 2006

On 19 Aug 2006, at 19:24, Mike Meredith wrote:
[...]
> Or just live with a slow spool ... one of my mail gateway servers
> is an
> old V1280 with /var/spool/exim/input on the same disk as /var. This
> disk
> is of course somewhat busy, but Exim still turns around most
> messages in
> under a second ... considerably faster than the (mostly) PC-based
> mailbox servers manage their work.

60 kilobucks for the server!

FWIW, we were doing about a few million mail transactions a day with
virus and spam filtering on a relatively bog standard PC. (The only
differences was the lack of a stupidly overspecced graphics card,
RAID1 storage, and a rackmount case. Shame we used Maxtor disks though.)