[rescue] G4 pricing

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sat Aug 19 13:24:22 CDT 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:23:56 +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Mail.app broke that line inappropriately, and I got the name of the
> directory slightly wrong. The spool is, indeed, on a regular ext3

Ah! I thought it was a bit odd that you were suggesting that.

> Ah, no, I wouldn't personally do that. I *would* consider using a
> solid-state disk for spool, but they're not at all the same thing,
> and expensive enough that building another mailserver may be more
> productive.

Or just live with a slow spool ... one of my mail gateway servers is an
old V1280 with /var/spool/exim/input on the same disk as /var. This disk
is of course somewhat busy, but Exim still turns around most messages in
under a second ... considerably faster than the (mostly) PC-based
mailbox servers manage their work.

> I think we're both actually singing from the same songsheet here.

Indeed, although possibly you squeaked a bit for the first notes :)