[rescue] Processor choice

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 19 08:22:06 CDT 2006

>From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
>Date: 2006/08/19 Sat AM 07:51:09 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Processor choice

<snip>

>You can get an X11 server from cygwin. This is what I'd do - I
>wouldn't bother with having to open a VNC session. You don't have to
>install cygwin to use the cygwin X server, either:
>	http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming

Great advice, but reminds me of a question I had a few years ago - I had a hard time running XWindows remotely on a machine without a framebuffer. IIRC I had an Ultra 2 without a framebuffer, installed Solaris 9 from a terminal, and when I tried to login by selecting the system from the logn screen on another Solaris box, it didn't connect. Is there some voodoo to install OS on a system without a framebuffer, yet manage it graphically from a remote desktop? I very well may have done soemthing wrong, but I always wondered.

XMing looks interesting - I'll give it a try soon, thanks!

Lionel