[rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Aug 2 21:06:31 CDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 08:18:03PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Yes, if you need support, it costs.  I think it runs $50 - $150 per user
> per year, depending on which applications you'd like Sun to support.
> However, if you're willing to support yourself (which you'd do anyway
> with most of the open source offerings), it's cheap-cheap.

According to the Sun store, you must buy 1000 licenses at $20 a piece
before you may get support.  After that the service plan is $1200 a
year.

It isn't so much if I'm willing to support myself as it is what my
employer would accept.

> As far as actually using it, I haven't used Sun's messaging stuff since
> the SIMS and iPlanet days, but it was Really Good Stuff back then.  I
> will most-likely be rolling out a smallish deployment (30 or so users)
> of the messaging and calendar stuff in the next few weeks and will
> definitely be switching to Sun's LDAP server Really Soon Now.

It does sound nice if you can use it without support.  I wonder if it is
realistic to use the calander alone.  I rather like postfix+dovecot, but
I think I would like a group calandering system at home.