[rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Aug 2 20:18:03 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> Err, maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing, but it seems to me that the
> minimal charge if you want something more than the trial edition is
> almost $10k plus $2k a year after that.  Yowch.

http://www.sun.com/software/products/messaging_srvr/index.xml

   Sun Java System Messaging Server is part of the Solaris Enterprise
   System. You can download it now and use this sophisticated
   infrastructure software at no cost. And, once you need assurance and
   support, Sun offers licensing and support plans for purchase.

http://www.sun.com/software/products/calendar_srvr/index.xml

   Sun Java System Calendar Server is part of the Solaris Enterprise
   System. You can download it now and use this sophisticated
   infrastructure software at no cost. And, once you need assurance and
   support, Sun offers licensing and support plans for purchase.

http://www.sun.com/software/products/directory_srvr_ee/index.xml

   Sun Java System Directory Server Enterprise Edition is part of the
   Solaris Enterprise System. You can download it now and use this
   sophisticated infrastructure software at no cost. And, once you need
   assurance and support, Sun offers licensing and support plans for
   purchase.

You can download the software from here:

   http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

Or you can order the whole ball of wax (Solaris, compilers & development
tools, infrastructure server software, and Java server software for
SPARC, i386, and amd64) as a 9-DVD kit for $30 + shipping here:

   http://globalspecials.sun.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&id=ProductDetailsPage&SiteID=sunstor&productID=46769400&Env=BASE

Yes, if you need support, it costs.  I think it runs $50 - $150 per user
per year, depending on which applications you'd like Sun to support.
However, if you're willing to support yourself (which you'd do anyway
with most of the open source offerings), it's cheap-cheap.

As far as actually using it, I haven't used Sun's messaging stuff since
the SIMS and iPlanet days, but it was Really Good Stuff back then.  I
will most-likely be rolling out a smallish deployment (30 or so users)
of the messaging and calendar stuff in the next few weeks and will
definitely be switching to Sun's LDAP server Really Soon Now.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"