[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Thu Apr 27 00:04:46 CDT 2006

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> heard recently that half of all electronics returned as 'defective'
> were fine.  the buyers just couldn't figure out how to make them work.
>
> i guess there's no budget for human-factors engineering in consumer
> products...

Yes, a european source, IIRC.  It's not hard to imagine, though.
Many products have WAY too many features resulting in severely
"overloaded" user interface functions (i.e. buttons that do
48 different things).  I am hard pressed to remember how to
"park" a phone call on my PBX and usually end up just leaving it
on "hold".  While the phones have displays, the user interface
hasn't been designed to take good advantage of that facility
(i.e., they seem to think I am more interested in the current
time-of-day than prompting me to make using the PHONE features
easier....)