[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Apr 27 00:21:20 CDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:04:46PM -0700, Don Y wrote:
> Yes, a european source, IIRC.  It's not hard to imagine, though.
> Many products have WAY too many features resulting in severely
> "overloaded" user interface functions (i.e. buttons that do
> 48 different things).

As I wrote in a blog entry entitled "I bought an MP3 player":

"I had real problems using it. The user interface is as simple to use as
a Rubic's Cube."

To load the files, it connects to your computer as if it was a USB memory
stick.

What really makes it suck is that you must put your files one layer deep in
a folder called MUSIC (in upper case) off of the root and there is a limit
to how many files you can have, but there is no way of knowing it.

If you have less than the limit, then it works when you disconnect from
computer. If you went to far, it can't find anything and must be reformated,
using the menu system.

Using the thing on a Linux or Macintosh system, or formating it under Windows
and it really gets lost. You have to pull the battery and when it restarts
go into menu mode before it reads the file directory and hangs.

If you are good at STFWing you can find the manufacurer's web site. The web
page has a download link for a manual, but there is no manual to be found.

It came with a Hebrew manual that was unreadable, it looked like it was
copied on a thermal fax machine.

Except for the fact that it plays files in the order they were loaded
instead of sorting by name or ID tag, I'm happy with it. I can load it
up with 24 hours of audiobooks if I recompress them to very low bitrate
mono files.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838