[rescue] your next Solaris machine ??? (Sol/x86 booting on iMac)

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Apr 16 14:37:30 CDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:19:18 -0700 (PDT)
Skeezics Boondoggle <skeezics at q7.com> wrote:

> > The latest POWER5's have like 8 cores on die and like 8MB of cache
> > on die per processor.  [...]
> ...which is exactly why Apple's move to Intel couldn't have been more
> stupid.
Apples problem was not 8 cores on a single die. The problem was a single
core on a die that fits well into a PowerBook. I.e. a CPU that performs
as well as a G5, but doesn't suck as much power as a real G5. Laptops
with good performance are critical for Apple.

8 cores with 8 MB cache each is nice. But I suspect this chips / MCM are
quite expensive. Also keep in mind that you need a good performance per
CPU for a desktop system. Many apps are still not designed to take
advantage of multiple CPUs.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen