[rescue] Odd SBUS cards - anyone want?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 9 21:25:33 CDT 2006

Sun, 09 Apr 2006 @ 21:18 -0400, Steve Sandau said:

> I have a SPARC20 with two 50 MHz CPUs running NetBSD. It seems to work
> all right, but I can't speak to how well it runs SMP (baby!). Both the
> CPUs get used, but I have nothing really comparable to compare with. It
> runs without problems until the power goes out. ;-) Aside from that,
> nothing stops it.

I actually converted one Perl WWW application I really liked to use
mod_perl instead, and that helped a great deal.

On my old SS5 which does mail/news duty, the primary problem with Perl is the
startup time. Perl actually runs fine once the interpreter comes up and the
script is compiled.

The other problem is that disk I/O is not terribly good.

> Overall, I am pleased considering that it is a fairly slow machine. I
> can't imagine doing anything like that on a dual 50MHz Intel box!

That's for sure.

Another thing, is that even my old SS5 runs well under a load.

It's just that even unloaded, its no speed daemon... :)

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.