[rescue] Odd SBUS cards - anyone want?

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 9 22:57:49 CDT 2006

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:25:33 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> On my old SS5 which does mail/news duty, the primary problem with Perl is the
> startup time. Perl actually runs fine once the interpreter comes up and the
> script is compiled.
>
> The other problem is that disk I/O is not terribly good.

I feel your pain; I have a SS5 that I was thinking of using for a number of purposes (kickaround DB server is the primary goal), and one thing I thought of was backing up my iTunes collection in there (you know, in the "rare but still possible" case the PowerBook drive dies before the SS5's 18 GB Atlas does).  Deathly slow; I was getting 0.5 MB per second.  I was using scp for the transfer, so I'm guessing that both the 110 MHz CPU and the 10 MB per second fast SCSI bus were to blame.  I now plan on RAID-1'ing a pair of 73 GB Seagates in the Ultra 2 so it can assume that duty (the 20 MB/s SCSI bus and the two 300 MHz CPUs should take care of the two problems above).

>> Overall, I am pleased considering that it is a fairly slow machine. I
>> can't imagine doing anything like that on a dual 50MHz Intel box!
>
> That's for sure.
>
> Another thing, is that even my old SS5 runs well under a load.
>
> It's just that even unloaded, its no speed daemon... :)

Which is why I'm gearing it as a Postgres server for some DB edumucation and experimentation.  It might choke, but I might learn something.