[rescue] A5000, 22x9.1GB, QLogic QLA2100F controller,

laz at moaa.net laz at moaa.net
Sat Apr 8 18:39:57 CDT 2006

> Fri, 31 Mar 2006 @ 16:59 -0500, Ethan O'Toole said:
>
> > > Can you easily get controllers for PCI, Sun and PC machines?  Are they
> > > expensive?
> >
> > Yup. Qlogic 2100 and 2200 should be dirt cheap.
> >
> > > I would like to upgrade, but the price of SCSI drives is the biggest worry, as
> > > the drives I want will cost more than the machine.
> >
> > I just noticed that 73GB SCA disks are like $40 on pricewatch now... quite
> > the shock, I'm going to get some for my Compaq DL360s
>
> For new drives?

No, Spartantech.com has EMC pulls.  But they are decent to work with, I purchased a number from them last year, 1 was DOA and 1 would die under load, they replaced both with no issue.

> > > I've been looking at FC drives, but haven't really found good deals on the
> > > controllers, and don't really know which one are the good ones.
> >
> > The bigger issue is interfacing to the back of the disk. SCA-40 or
> > SCA-20... SCA-20 IIRC. 4 wire interface (TX/GND RX/GND x 2 channels IIRC).
>
> Huh?
>
> They called FC drives SCA?  That would be a crappy thing to do...

Well, considering SCA stands for "Single Connection Assembely" so far as I know, that would technically make FC-AL drives SCA..  But I usually see that mistake on Epay when people done understand what they really have.

Matt