[rescue] A5000, 22x9.1GB, QLogic QLA2100F controller, asking $550

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 8 17:59:56 CDT 2006

Fri, 31 Mar 2006 @ 16:59 -0500, Ethan O'Toole said:

> > Can you easily get controllers for PCI, Sun and PC machines?  Are they
> > expensive?
>
> Yup. Qlogic 2100 and 2200 should be dirt cheap.
>
> > I would like to upgrade, but the price of SCSI drives is the biggest worry, as
> > the drives I want will cost more than the machine.
>
> I just noticed that 73GB SCA disks are like $40 on pricewatch now... quite
> the shock, I'm going to get some for my Compaq DL360s

For new drives?

> > I've been looking at FC drives, but haven't really found good deals on the
> > controllers, and don't really know which one are the good ones.
>
> The bigger issue is interfacing to the back of the disk. SCA-40 or
> SCA-20... SCA-20 IIRC. 4 wire interface (TX/GND RX/GND x 2 channels IIRC).

Huh?

They called FC drives SCA?  That would be a crappy thing to do...

Then again, no one seems to bother avoiding namespace collisions anymore.

> Neat stuff. SATA should have been like Fibre channel.

SATA is a lot like it, only very low end without the really good
features.

It's a consumer product, just like ATA was a cheap knockoff of SCSI.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["It's a damn poor mind that can only think
of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson]