[rescue] Camera with direct connection?

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Mon Feb 7 22:42:27 CST 2005

Okay, I've been working on a digital camera project recently. I wanted
1600x1200 or better still shots. I found nothing reasonably priced. I
ended up using a Canon digital camera hooked to an embedded PC board
(Pentium 150mhz). System runs Linux + Gphoto2, and takes pictures every
hour.

There are some issues with the camera powering up and down. I plan to put
my boxes in remote locations, so remote power cycling capabilities is
needed. I ended up with this hack:

http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/hrcam/hrcam_01.jpg
http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/hrcam/hrcam_03.jpg

It is basically the power button wired to the parallel port via an
optoisolator. Not fun to solder.

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460