[rescue] Building Sendmail 8.13.1

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 15:44:00 CDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:47:43 -0400, Mike F wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:03:23PM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > Can one just download-untar-make-install and have it work in a safe
> > and sane manner?
> >
> > -Shel
>
> Pretty much - I've never built Sendmail from source, and I'd rather
> not go down that road.

It isn't pretty, although it's been a long time since I built it.

> But for Postfix it's pretty much configure;
> make; make install. Then edit your /etc/postfix/main.cf to suit -

I'd vote for Exim (http://www.exim.org). It doesn't use configure (which
can be said to be an advantage) so it's a little trickier to build.
But the configuration is fairly straight forward.

Mind you if you're going to spend a lot of time doing this it's worth
investigating all the choices (well ... except for qmail) to see which
one suits you the best. After all tinkering with your MTA can be pretty
addictive.