[rescue] Building Sendmail 8.13.1

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Fri Sep 17 14:47:43 CDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:03:23PM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Quoth Jonathan C. Patschke ...
> > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone either built the latest sendmail on IRIX 6.5.x,
> >
> > Yeah.  The last time I tried (either 8.9.x or 8.11.x), I gave up and
> > switched to Postfix, as the sendmail build system is broken
> > on IRIX with gcc.
[snip]
> I just did a bit of Googling, and what I can't find is (a) a good
> introduction to Postfix and (b) a "how to switch from sendmail" guide.
>
> Can one just download-untar-make-install and have it work in a safe and sane
> manner?
>
> -Shel

Pretty much - I've never built Sendmail from source, and I'd rather not go
down that road. But for Postfix it's pretty much configure; make; make
install. Then edit your /etc/postfix/main.cf to suit - mostly to set the
domain name, and a few other minor things. Other than that, it basically
works well and securely out of the box for a simple configuration.
- Mike