[rescue] Building Sendmail 8.13.1

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Sep 17 15:33:49 CDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> I just point 'em at www.sendmail.org; I never hear any more complaints.

Well, I don't remember the specifics, but it flat failed to link for me
after about 3 hours, I gave up.

> I just did a bit of Googling, and what I can't find is (a) a good
> introduction to Postfix and (b) a "how to switch from sendmail" guide.

a) The config files are human-readable and are fully-documented.

b) You compile it and install it.  The default behavoir is sane for any
    machine foo.bar.com that wants to relay mail for any machine in
    bar.com, and wants to accept for local delivery and mail addressed to
    user at foo.bar.com, provided that "user" is a valid username.  Of
    course, foo.bar.com is your hostname.

> Can one just download-untar-make-install and have it work in a safe
> and sane manner?

If you want virtual domains, you'll need to learn about Postfix maps (or
use Sendmail-style virtuals).  If you want spamd/spamc integration,
that's a bit of work, but it's documented fairly well, too.

--
Jonathan Patschke )
Elgin, TX        (  "Ma'am, I can do anything.  I own a game store."