[rescue] Fluorescent Myth Debunking

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Sep 17 05:50:18 CDT 2004

james <james at jdfogg.com> wrote:
[...]
> In the frozen wastelands of the North East I find my fluorescents to
> be very loveable. Since I'm still paying through the nose for
> tree-huggers who screwed the Seabrook atomic plant in NH I know the
> true value of every watt of power (18 cents/kwh). Any lamp that
> stays lit for more than 30 minutes/day gets a fluorescent (compact
> or otherwise).

Given 9W and 14W bulbs clock in at just #2.50 each (when I bought my
last batch from Pudsey Wal*^W Asda) I just replace every bulb in the
house without consideration for whether or not it's going to get any
heavy use.

Lightly-used bulbs will just wear out slower. They're still a cost win
over their lifetime - it just might be a *long* lifetime.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key