[rescue] Fluorescent Myth Debunking

james james at jdfogg.com
Thu Sep 16 15:27:58 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 16:06, Wes Will wrote:
> Fluorescent Bulb MYTH #1

<snip>
In the frozen wastelands of the North East I find my fluorescents to be
very loveable. Since I'm still paying through the nose for tree-huggers
who screwed the Seabrook atomic plant in NH I know the true value of
every watt of power (18 cents/kwh). Any lamp that stays lit for more
than 30 minutes/day gets a fluorescent (compact or otherwise).

Meanwhile my wife can't figure out why she is no longer able to kill
African Violets. I finally had to point out that they live under a pair
of CF lamps that stay lit until 1am on a timer. The lamps got a timer
when she realized that the plants didn't do well in the summer when they
got less CF light.

I even found CF's that will start at sub-zero temps. They are used in
the garage and the outdoor lights. They even start at near-full
brightness.