[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Sep 16 13:55:55 CDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> To they make compact fluorescents that won't cause trouble with those
> lamp shades that clip directly to the bulb?

Yes, some of them are shaped like regular bulbs instead of balled
up spaghetti.  I think they just put a plastic covering over
the spaghetti, but I've never cut into one.  I'm using 4 of them
for the exposed vanity bulbs in the bathroom because they look
better than the twisty ones.  They also don't heat up the bathroom
as much and when I turn them on they take a couple of seconds to
come up to full brightness (but don't flicker or anything) so they don't
blind me in the middle of the night.  You can even put a brighter bulb in
most lamps because they don't produce nearly the heat and won't burn the
shade or overload the wiring.

> I have heard reports that compact fluorescents are getting a better
> color balance these days.

They certainly are.  Compact fluorescents have really picked up
in the last couple of years.  They're easy to find, cheap, and available
in tons of sizes right down to candelabra bulbs.  They also burn a
lot longer than incandescent bulbs.

With the advances in compact fluorescent and LED bulbs for flashlights,
I have almost no incandescent bulbs in my house any more.  I switched
over because the kids kept leaving them on all the time which ran up
the power bill and heated the house.  I think in a few years incandescent
bulbs and CRT monitors will be the exception rather than the rule.

-DanD

# "But, Invader's blood marches through my veins like giant radioactive rubber
#  pants!  The pants command me!   Do not ignore my veins!"  Invader ZIM