[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Sep 16 14:03:49 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 12:55:55PM -0600, Dan Duncan wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > I have heard reports that compact fluorescents are getting a better
> > color balance these days.
>
> They certainly are.  Compact fluorescents have really picked up
> in the last couple of years.  They're easy to find, cheap, and available
> in tons of sizes right down to candelabra bulbs.  They also burn a
> lot longer than incandescent bulbs.

The ones we have throughout most of the house have a visible yellowish
cast, but that's a lot more pleasant than the older ones, which I can
only describe as giving a grey light.

They take about a second to start up, and we pay around $12 for a pack
of five at Sam's Club, but once they're in, we're not constantly
replacing lightbulbs any more.

> With the advances in compact fluorescent and LED bulbs for flashlights,
> I have almost no incandescent bulbs in my house any more.  I switched
> over because the kids kept leaving them on all the time which ran up
> the power bill and heated the house.  I think in a few years incandescent
> bulbs and CRT monitors will be the exception rather than the rule.

LEDs for home lighting are coming, too.  There's a lot of companies that
have LED lighting solutions close to market.  Some of them even allow
you to dynamically adjust the color temperature of your lighting.

About time we got rid of the incandescent bulb and its 2% efficiency
at converting electrical power to visible light ....

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net