[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Thu Sep 16 12:53:57 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 01:24:33PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 01:14:45PM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> At the moment, on one circuit, I have:
> 2 60 watt lamps

You can replace these with compact fluorescents, which will use 11 or
15 W instead of 60 apiece.
> 1 Sun 20" monitor
> 1 Dell Ultrascan 17" monitor

Replace with a single nice LCD panel, you will save prob. 100-150W .

> I don't know how many amps I'm using, but it isn't tripping the 15amp
> breaker, nor for that matter the lesser overload protection in the first
> power strip that breaks out to other strips for all of these devices.  I
> keep wanting to buy a device to measure what's actually used by all of
> this.  I know that in the summer time, the electric bill for our

You can get an inexpensive "amp clamp" and a small extender plug that
plugs into the wall.  The plug has a wire exposed (but insulated),
which you put the amp clamp around.  Should be accurate to within .1
amps or so.  You need to put the amp clamp around just one of the 2
wires in order to get an accurate reading.

I have had several (12-13) machines plus E4k plus external RAID on one 20A
circuit without problems.

--Patrick