[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Sep 16 12:24:33 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 01:14:45PM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> Probably 25 amps of computer stuff humming (Indys, Sparc 20s and AMD
> Athlons at the time).

That is a lot of Indys, Sparc20, and Athlons then.

At the moment, on one circuit, I have:
2 60 watt lamps
1 Octane (SI+TRam, two disks that are rather hot)
3 Sun 411 cases (two with CD-ROMs, one witha  ST15150N)
1 Sun 20" monitor
1 Dell Ultrascan 17" monitor
1 Compaq KVM
1 Philips DVD player
1 Dreamcast
1 Set of speakers+subwoofer (certainly not more than 40watts)
1 video switch box
1 video->vga converter
1 Sun Ultra 30
1 Sun 711 with 3 hot disks
1 10mbit hub (probably close to negligable)
1 100mbit switch (small netgear, probably close to nothing)
1 Digital FDDI concentrator
1 O2 (R5k, cheatah disk)
1 dual P2-350
1 SS20 (dual SM61)
1 Ultra 1 (ST19171WC disk)
1 Ultra 5
1 Celeron (has a 100watt PSU I think)
Probably a few other things I'm missing.

There is other stuff that might be running, like perhaps a GC instead of
the dreamcast, or perhaps an additional SS20 or Indy.

I don't know how many amps I'm using, but it isn't tripping the 15amp
breaker, nor for that matter the lesser overload protection in the first
power strip that breaks out to other strips for all of these devices.  I
keep wanting to buy a device to measure what's actually used by all of
this.  I know that in the summer time, the electric bill for our
apartment is about twice what the 4x larger 2nd and 3rd story apartment
pays (and they use AC as well).  In the wintertime we pay about the same
as anyone else.

And, that gear easily keeps the room (10x12 maybe?) significantly warmer
than anything else in the house.

When we buy a house, I plan to remodel the garage to be a machine room,
and it will have a large sub panel, and I will break out the equipment
to not use power strips so much.  I'm not really happy with the current
arrangements, but it's what I'm stuck with for now.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/