[rescue] Question about Iomega NAS Server

Zach Lowry zach at zachlowry.net
Tue Sep 14 11:35:33 CDT 2004

On Sep 14, 2004, at 7:05 AM, James wrote:

> And do you really want a stripped down
> Windows environment running your NAS?

These devices run Unix, btw.

> Get a chassis that supports hot-swap or front-access disks, find a nice
> motherboard (Tyan gets my vote), get a RAID card (or a mobo with it
> build
> in) and install Linux. Since swapping disks isn't a daily chore, you
> can
> go cheaper and get a standard chassis.

This is exactly what I'd like to avoid. I'm no idiot, and I can
configure NFS and Samba and friends all day. I just don't want to
anymore. I do it all day at work. It's tiresome and frustrating. I just
want the damn thing to work. I want to come home, pretend I'm a moron,
and point and click to make shares and things.

> Or you can buy any of the very nice Linux bases commercial products
> that
> are built just like I described and sold with a warantee and possibly
> some
> custom storage management software.

This would be great if I could find such. Could you provide links? Keep
in mind that I can get a 320gb Iomega NAS which runs UNIX for $600,
which is just about my spending limit.

--------
Zach Lowry
http://www.netbsd.org
MTSU, Murfreesboro, TN                              Owner of 20 NetBSD
Platforms
zach at zachlowry.net