[rescue] Question about Iomega NAS Server

James james at jdfogg.com
Tue Sep 14 07:05:10 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Zach Lowry wrote:

> I hate to reply to my own thread, but I'd really like to know more
> about these beasts before I spend such a significant chunk of money on
> one. Has anyone on the list ever used one? Are they worth having?  How
> about compatibility? Even if I can't verify that it's upgradable, I'll
> probably still get one because it's a pretty good deal, but if any of
> you have any experiences with them, please let me know! :)

Well, I didn't want to say anything, but...

You will hate yourself for buying cheap NAS devices. Maxtor sucks planets
and Iomega isn't too far behind. And do you really want a stripped down
Windows environment running your NAS?

Get a chassis that supports hot-swap or front-access disks, find a nice
motherboard (Tyan gets my vote), get a RAID card (or a mobo with it build
in) and install Linux. Since swapping disks isn't a daily chore, you can
go cheaper and get a standard chassis.

Or you can buy any of the very nice Linux bases commercial products that
are built just like I described and sold with a warantee and possibly some
custom storage management software.