[rescue] Question about Iomega NAS Server

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Tue Sep 14 19:14:56 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 12:35, Zach Lowry wrote:

> > Or you can buy any of the very nice Linux bases commercial products
> > that
> > are built just like I described and sold with a warantee and possibly
> > some
> > custom storage management software.
>
> This would be great if I could find such. Could you provide links? Keep
> in mind that I can get a 320gb Iomega NAS which runs UNIX for $600,
> which is just about my spending limit.

This is what I use at the office for low-end NAS needs.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&scid=43&prid=640

Amazon has them cheap ($79.94):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001FSCZO/qid=1095207007/sr=8-1/ref=pd_cps_1/103-0705422-5003856?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

It's an embedded linux box with 2 USB2.0 ports for plugging in external
drives.  Out of the box it uses SMB, but a little hackery and...

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article86.php

NFS! (and iTunes sharing and lots of other fun things)

Amazon has a combo offer of the appliance plus a 300GB external
USB2.0/Firewire drive for $374.88.

So, that's a 300GB NAS for $225 LESS than the IOMEGA box, and you can
add another 300GB for $300.

Oh, and it formats the drives as ext3, so you can plug them directly
into any linux box with usb2.0 ports if you want to get a big file
copied faster than your network speed allows.

Cheers,

Caleb Shay
caleb at webninja.com