[rescue] Re:OT LPR and 9100

James Rice jrice54 at vzavenue.net
Tue Sep 14 06:09:38 CDT 2004

PDL Datastream -

    Printing

There are several port numbers that may be involved with printing.

Print Server Port Numbers
<http://members.cruzio.com/%7Ejeffl/sco/lp/printservers.htm> is a useful
guide.

The three main ones are LPD ("printer") on port 515
<http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/%7Erakerman/port-table.html#lpd>, IPP on 631
<http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/%7Erakerman/port-table.html#ipp>, and
PDL-datastream on 9100
<http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/%7Erakerman/port-table.html#pdl-datastream>.

Apple MacOS X Rendezvous Printing
<http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/RendezvousPrinting.pdf>
(PDF) will discover printers that are advertising their services. They
give the example

For example, the Apple LaserWriter 8500 would register the following services,
assuming the default domain is "local."

Apple LaserWriter 8500._printer._tcp.local.        Port 515
Apple LaserWriter 8500._ipp._tcp.local.            Port 631
Apple LaserWriter 8500._pdl-datastream._tcp.local. Port 9100

--
www.blackcube.org  The Texas State Home for Wayward and Orphaned Computers