[rescue] OT: LPR & 9100

Jody Stephens jody.stephens at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 03:09:40 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:59:19 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo
<patrick at mail.zill.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 12:52:13AM -0400, Eric Webb wrote:
> > Apologize again -- this is off the topic of rescue but wishing to tap into the
> > braintrust here.
> >
> > Can someone explain to me the name of the "protocol" involved in printing to
> > port 9100, usually on an HP JetDirect?  I believe this has nothing at all to
> > do with LPR.
> You shouldn't even NEED the Win2k3 boxen.  Every Jetdirect I am
> familiar with can accept LPR jobs straight over the TCP/IP network.

I have had JetDirect cards (In LaserJet 4Ms) lacking the correct
firmware that only accept on port 9100, no lpr server at all. IIRC
jetdirect protocol doesn't deal with multiple requests at the same
time, so there would be issues with multiple clients sending data at
the same time. Sticking these behind a modern unix print spooler works
without a hitch.

> You might also want to doublecheck firmware levels - maybe HP has
> updated firmware for your Jetdirect.

IIRC older JetDirect cards don't have flashable firmware, making
upgrades a bit more challenging.

Jody