[rescue] OT: LPR & 9100

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Mon Sep 13 23:59:19 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 12:52:13AM -0400, Eric Webb wrote:
> Apologize again -- this is off the topic of rescue but wishing to tap into the
> braintrust here.
>
> Can someone explain to me the name of the "protocol" involved in printing to
> port 9100, usually on an HP JetDirect?  I believe this has nothing at all to
> do with LPR.
>

> -Eric
>
> (Work is implementing SAP.  SAP runs on HP-UX machines, but forwards LPR
> requests to a Win2003 spooler before hitting the end devices - usu.
> JetDirects.  It's sick, and it ain't working well at all.  So far, it takes 4
> Win2003 machines to fly ~160 print queues, and things are still taking 30
> minutes just to print.  We're talking print jobs usually < 10K each.  Appears
> to be a strange protocol handshaking issue and isn't network/cpu/ram
> dependent.  Now, if anyone has any ideas on this, you win the big prize..)

You shouldn't even NEED the Win2k3 boxen.  Every Jetdirect I am
familiar with can accept LPR jobs straight over the TCP/IP network.

In fact you can query them via SNMP and usually telnet into them to
change their settings.

Why not just take a Linux box and setup Samba (if needed for some
reason to have Windows style printers) then run it through magicfilter
or aps-filter (if needed to get PCL output) - should be a LOT more
efficient.

I have found sticking Windows XP/2K in the middle to handle print
requests results in major suckage.

You might also want to doublecheck firmware levels - maybe HP has
updated firmware for your Jetdirect.

Cordially

Patrick