Sun+non-Sun FC Help? (was Re: [rescue] disk board in e4k)

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sat May 29 15:28:05 CDT 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 02:53:59PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Saturday 29 May 2004 13:52, Dan Duncan wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 May 2004, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> > > you need an external cable to go between the SCSI connector on the
> > > back of the system and the SCSI connector on the disk board.
> >
> > So the board is just there to draw power and hold disks?  There's
> > no <slot-type> SCSI controller built onto it?  How weird.
>
> I'd imagine that's so you can put them on whatever scsi controller you
> want, if you've got multiple IO boards (or scsi channels), or multiple
> disk boards in one chassis.

More flexible yes, but also a) a pain in the neck, b) not what they
did in the SS1000.  And an e4k could only ever have 3 disk boards,
with 2 disks apiece.

> Personally, I'd say if you're doing the E4k+ thing, you might as well
> have an external drive box to hook up to it.  My E3k has internal
> disks, but those are in the 10 SCA slots in the front of the
> machine. :)

Well, yes, I just haven't populated the D1000 I have.  Yet :-) Got a
cheap source for 18GB+ SCA disks?

> So, for my question.  I'm having 0 luck getting fiberchannel to connect
> between my E3k and external equipment (not Sun branded).  I've got a
> FC100/S card in an SBUS slot, connected to a FC hub (also tried a
> switch), and I've tried several times, with no success to get them to
> connect to each other (light up the "link" light on the hub).  If I put
> the GBICs from the card in the hub, they'll get link when connected
> together, but with one in the hub and one in the E3k (FC100/S), I get
> no link.

Any chance you can connect it directly to a drive and see what happens
then?

> Has anyone tried hooking non-Sun and Sun FC stuff together before?

It "should" work.

> Hmm, this goes back to my argument before that "FC stuff doesn't play
> well together."  I just wish I was wrong like Dave McGuire said I was.

insert IDE joke of some kind  here.

--P