Sun+non-Sun FC Help? (was Re: [rescue] disk board in e4k)

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat May 29 14:53:59 CDT 2004

On Saturday 29 May 2004 13:52, Dan Duncan wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2004, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> > you need an external cable to go between the SCSI connector on the
> > back of the system and the SCSI connector on the disk board.
>
> So the board is just there to draw power and hold disks?  There's
> no <slot-type> SCSI controller built onto it?  How weird.

I'd imagine that's so you can put them on whatever scsi controller you
want, if you've got multiple IO boards (or scsi channels), or multiple
disk boards in one chassis.

Personally, I'd say if you're doing the E4k+ thing, you might as well
have an external drive box to hook up to it.  My E3k has internal
disks, but those are in the 10 SCA slots in the front of the
machine. :)

So, for my question.  I'm having 0 luck getting fiberchannel to connect
between my E3k and external equipment (not Sun branded).  I've got a
FC100/S card in an SBUS slot, connected to a FC hub (also tried a
switch), and I've tried several times, with no success to get them to
connect to each other (light up the "link" light on the hub).  If I put
the GBICs from the card in the hub, they'll get link when connected
together, but with one in the hub and one in the E3k (FC100/S), I get
no link.

Has anyone tried hooking non-Sun and Sun FC stuff together before?

Hmm, this goes back to my argument before that "FC stuff doesn't play
well together."  I just wish I was wrong like Dave McGuire said I was.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org