[rescue] disk board in e4k

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sat May 29 19:28:07 CDT 2004

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> OK, I feel a little dumb now...
>
> you need an external cable to go between the SCSI connector on the
> back of the system and the SCSI connector on the disk board.
>
> I just ASSUMED that Sun wouldn't have been so dumb as to do it like
> that; IIRC the SS1000 did the right thing and the disks just showed
> up, no cables needed.

I thought the SS1000 at work needed the external cable... I rationalized
that by realizing that it wouldn't know which motherboard's SCSI
controller to attach the disk tray to. The internal drives (the ones in
the front of the machine) connect to an internal SCSI.

However, I may remember this incorrectly; I haven't had the time to play
with if for a while. I got 2 motherboards to work, with 512M each, but
only CPUs on one motherboard. I have 2 more 85MHz CPUs, another MB and
512M more of memory I'd like to get to work in it, too....

Steve